Tuesday, May 10, 2011

LIGHTS, CAMERA, NYC!!!!

Today was insane.  I was possessed by the urge to go and audition for the Rockettes.  That's right.  The same Rockettes that perform at Radio City Music Hall and kick their legs to Christmas music.  I was there, and so were 500 other women from all over America.  My number was 395, I got to dance a 16 count combo and get cut right away.  This, was totally crazy... but actually fun! I made a few friends, did an interview with NPR while waiting in line, and thought this audition was very professional. However...

Right after I got cut, I jumped on the subway to go hang out with my friends who dance for a company called Gallim.  Gallim Friends  They were working on a piece about herd mentality and I could not stop myself from comparing all the women at The Rockette audition to a type of herd.  The type of herd that is trained from the beginning of their dancing life to act and think a certain way.  Wear heels, get your fake lashes on, not a stray hair on your head, be perfect.  If you're not perfect, well, goodbye.  Maybe that is harsh, maybe I am too judgmental.  Maybe some of those girls just really love Christmas and live camels onstage.  Or maybe they are aliens.  yeah, aliens that have been born with nude tights and leotards on.  Maybe they are going to take over the world with the can-can.  To me, it was a little sad that girls were crying on the sidewalk because they got cut.  Literally bundled up in a tight ball crying on the corner of 50th street and 6th Ave.  I wanted to take them aside and tell them "don't worry, you are better off not being a drone that looks exactly like the girl next to you.  Go home, dye your hair pink, take off your heels, color with crayons, jump rope, scream really loud... do ANYTHING! Most importantly, think for yourself." But I would never say that to a 17 year old girl who drove from Boston with her mom, maybe it is her dream to be in this show.  Why would I crush that dream?  That would just be mean.

2 comments:

  1. My understanding is that Rockettes make damn good money. Maybe those girls crying on the sidewalk saw this as their ticket to riches, if not fame. Money shouldn't be the only motivation, but it can make a heck of a difference. Maybe one of those girls loves dancing in lines, but if she can't be a Rockette she's going to have to go back to working at Arby's in New Jersey and wait for the winter pageant to dance again.

    That said, I totally agree there are a lot of sheep on stage with the camels. But I bet there's some wolves up there, too. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you know if NPR is going to use any of your interview?

    ReplyDelete